Music & More Music

November 8, 2010

“Make Love, Not War”… and that’s what they did.

Filed under: Uncategorized — Jennifer Chang @ 6:07 pm

T-Pain, Jamaican Mento, Disco and Funk

What an awesome ending to an awesome day of presentations.

Professor Herzog’s last segment in class was definitely a blast from the past.  I wished we watched the entire documentary.  I forgot what the event was called but it was definitely 110% better than the clips I’ve seen from Woodstock.  Also, thanks to Adrianne, Laura and Oscar for their presentations.  All of the presentations were informative and definitely gave us something different in class.  Adrianne’s passion for rap music, especially for T-Pain, showed from the examples she gave in class.  Her presentation got the entire class attention from old school Public Enemy (?), Notorious BIG, Jay Z to the new school T Pain sound and Nicki Minaj.  I know some of your heads were bumping and mimicking the lyrics.  Laura’s gave a detailed explanation of the disco era.  She even had an old vinyl record and gave a really cute example (thanks to her little brother).  I thought Oscar’s presentation was very interesting.  The type of dance he chose was sensual and provocative.  He definitely drew everyone’s attention with the description and from the clip he showed.  Do not try this at home, it’s a dance only a highly trained person can do.

The 1970’s were filled with drugs, love, peace AND war.  From what the hippies were celebrating (love and peace), war was still going on and fighting against political issues was on everyone’s agenda.  It’s funny to learn what people were trying to protest, they were still doing hard-core drugs, men raping women, fighting against the government and even sometimes killing one another.  Seems kind of backwards to me.  The music (disco, funk and old school rap) was not only a huge influence of “love and peace”, but also influenced acts of sex, drugs and fighting against the government.  Back then, that was the norm.  Imagine if we lived like that now.

My personal favorite segment was the video on the Carpenters.  The use of the barbie doll portrayed Karen Carpenter and her personal issues with her weight and fame.  The segment showed what the audience doesn’t see.  Unfortunately for a long time, Karen suffered with anorexia and depression, which eventually caught up with her and died from the side effects of the disease.  It’s sad to see that the messages of love these performers were trying to deliver, they themselves were suffering their own demons and sadness.

PS… Thanks for reading and posting responses on my page.

1. Thanks for this great post– last week’s class was ridiculously fun. I’m glad to see a shout out to the presenters– we’ve had so many enlightening talks, with an impressive amount of passion and research.
    The festival was called Wattstax by the way– you should check out the whole documentary.

Amy Herzog — November 14, 2010 @ 10:01 pm

2. I precisely had to thank you so much yet again. I am not sure the things that I might have tried in the absence of the tips and hints contributed by you over that theme. It has been the distressing dilemma in my view, nevertheless witnessing the specialized tactic you managed the issue took me to weep over delight. I will be thankful for the help and even expect you realize what a great job you have been doing teaching some other people through the use of your webblog. I am sure you have never encountered all of us.

hoodia supplement — April 9, 2013 @ 11:48 pm

3. Read More In this article

Read More In this article — February 21, 2015 @ 2:16 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress. WPMU-DEV.