Music & More Music

October 27, 2010

The Long Road of Recording

Filed under: Uncategorized — Jennifer Chang @ 4:07 pm

Millard, 285-295

Recording has come a long, long, long way.  Before the idea of recording, music and performances were remembered only by memory.  After the phonograph was invented, music and sound were unclear and difficult to hear but definitely one of the greatest inventions ever made.  In this chapter, Millard writes about the fundamental difference of record studios and sound stages, critical elements in determining how the music was recorded and how it sounded on playback and people who were huge influence in the music industry such as, Les Paul, Sam Phillips and Buddy Holly.

This chapter was extremely interesting because we get a better understanding how far recording has come and the people that helped influence it.  Take Les Paul for instance.  Personally, I am not a guitar player nor do I have any extended knowledge about the instrument but I know the first time I heard his name was in the movie Juno, 2007.  when Ellen Page admires and Jason Bigs Les Paul’s guitar.  Paul created a solid body electrified guitar which is now known to be one of the high end guitars sold on the market.

As for Sam Phillips, he was noted to discover one of the most influential musicians such as Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash.  Phillips was also noted for combining different styles of music.  And lastly, what can we say about the young Buddy Holly.  Though he died at the young age of 22, Buddy Holly was known to be a pioneer of rock-n-roll.

Knowing the fundamentals of anything not only make a person more knowledgable but also, to find a deeper appreciation where everything started and how these people (and more) paved the ways for future musicians and artist.

1. I agree this chapter is significant because we now have a better understanding of how far recording has come and the people who helped influence it. I feel you used a really good example the movie Juno. Good Job!!!

robert shemanski — November 6, 2010 @ 12:18 am

2. When I was 15 I was into the pop-punk scene and I wanted to learn guitar and start my own band, thats when i heard of Les Paul. I went to guitar center thinking I was going to buy a Les Paul…didn’t work out because they are crazy expensive. My dreams of being a rock star were short lived, but I know the amount of dedication thats needed to be a musician like Elvis of Johnny Cash

kayeco — December 12, 2010 @ 11:12 pm

3. Wow, that’s what I was exploring for, what a data! present here at this website, thanks admin of this website.

Feel free to visit my webpage: shutterfly discount

shutterfly discount — July 23, 2013 @ 2:15 am

4. I am a big fan of the les paul guitar and you have a nice picture showing some really good designs, also how to learn to play guitar on a les paul would be a good experience

Jeremy — October 15, 2013 @ 3:29 pm

5. HCG Diet

HCG Diet — January 16, 2015 @ 7:50 am

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress. WPMU-DEV.